Peace Corps Panama

Hello, welcome to my blog. I created this blog as I am preparing to leave to Panama for the next 27 months. I will be serving as a Sustainable Agriculture Systems Extension Agent. I will try to keep my blog as updated as possible. Come Visit and Stay tuned so that I can share this experience with you.


Hola, Bienvenidos a mi Blog. Me estoy preparando para ir a Panamá los próximos 27 meses. Voy a estar sirviendo como agente de Sistemas sostenibles de Agricultura. Tratare de mantener este blog lo más actualizado posible. Vénganme a visitar. Manténgase informados con mi blog para que pueda compartir estas experiencias con ustedes.


Pictures

Monday, February 2, 2009

LIFE IS CALLING

HOW FAR ARE YOU WILLING TO GO?
When I first heard about the Peace Corps, my eyes teared up and I got this really weird feeling over me. It was the type of program that I was looking for. It made me feel as though I would be doing something worthwhile with my talents, skills, and time.
The commitment is 27 months (months training and 2 years on location). Anyone visit. January 12th I got transferred from the Africa region to the Central/South America & Carribbean Region. A much welcomed change due to my fluency in spanish. When I first signed up, I wanted to go to Africa because I wanted to go to a place that I would never otherwise go visit. However as time went by, I started thinking realizing how difficult it would be to comunicate on a day to day basis, let alone help them through projects. Nonetheless I still wanted to go. When Brianna Fischer called me that Monday morning and told me that she thought I was a better candidate for the Central/South America & Carribbean Region, I was extatic.
The process has been pretty long. I started filling outmy application in January 2008. It is quite the application. After completeing my dental and medical reviews as well, I turned in application. Then I had an interview with Amy, the UF campus Peace Corps recruiter. The hard part about that interview is that it is difficult to prepare for an interview that could determine the next couple years of your life (no pressure). With my voice cracking, eyes watering, and palms sweating, I walked out of that interview praying that she had seen the desire firing in my eyes.
Between that Interview with Amy and the phone interview with Brianna was almost 9months. Throughout that time I traveled around the US, I taught swim lessons, worked at the UF Horse Research Unit, realized didn’t want to go to Vet school, started studying for the LSAT, Graduated from the Univeristy of Florida, moved back home, applied to Law School, started working with my dad, hit rock bottom emotionally, and started taking portugese. A lot can happen in 9 months.
The next two weeks will probably feel as long if not longer but I am anxiously awaiting my FedEx Letter to arrive. When one door shuts in your face, another one quickly opens.
This isn’t the time in my life where I should be sitting in an office from 8am-5pm Monday thru Friday. I need to be out in the world, seeing all there is to see. I need to find myself out there so that when I do return, I return a better version of myself that I am in love with. Hopefully then my love will be understood, appreciated, and cherished.
By leaving all this time, I don’t want people to think that I am running away or wasting the best years of my life. I am going because I know this is the best time to do this. What is meant for me will wait for me otherwise it was never really mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment