Peace Corps Panama

Hello, welcome to my blog. I created this blog as I am preparing to leave to Panama for the next 27 months. I will be serving as a Sustainable Agriculture Systems Extension Agent. I will try to keep my blog as updated as possible. Come Visit and Stay tuned so that I can share this experience with you.


Hola, Bienvenidos a mi Blog. Me estoy preparando para ir a Panamá los próximos 27 meses. Voy a estar sirviendo como agente de Sistemas sostenibles de Agricultura. Tratare de mantener este blog lo más actualizado posible. Vénganme a visitar. Manténgase informados con mi blog para que pueda compartir estas experiencias con ustedes.


Pictures

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Caramelo Escaso...

From Santana: Month 1

Yesterday afternoon when I came home from town ( from visiting Princesa at the Vet's office), I was met by a sworm of kids on the street. I couldn't make out exactly what they were saying because they were all screaming at the top of their lungs. I was able to catch a couple words...LLEGÓ, APÚRATE, CABALLO.
Then I put it all together. They were telling me to hurry, that my horse had arrived. As I approached the last hill before Dochi's house, my heart started beating super fast. The blistering headache that had been eating at me all morning was gone, instantly. As I turned the corner, there he was!

His owner, Israel Vasquez was waiting on a trunk of wood. We had agreed on $125 for the horse and he was asking for $40 for the saddle. After looking the saddle over, I offered him $150 total. The saddle was falling apart...but a saddle is better than no saddle. He reluctantly agreed and we signed a little document I put together:

Yo, Israel Vasquez, le vendo el caballo caramelo y la
montura este dia 15 de julio del 2009 por el precio de $150 ( ciento
cincuenta dolares).

el firmo _____________ yo firme ______________

2 testigos firmaron: __________________, ____________________

Once I Israel signed the horse over, I quickly went over to MY horse and gave him a huge HUG! Then I unsaddled him and took him over to the hose. I gave him the best longest shower of his life. When he was done, I gave him some corn husks and some plantain leaves. Then Benigno and I went to let the horses out to pasture! That was when I decided to name him Caramelo Escaso. I tried to think back on all the birthday, Christmas, toothfairy, and eyelash wishes that were finally coming true. As he walked away in the pasture with the sun setting on the mountain in the background, I thought about how long I had waited for this moment.
From Santana: Month 1


This cat keeps finding the Craziest things... Last night he found this lovely creature trying to sneak into the kitchen...

Got to love cats...hahaha

From Santana: Month 1

No comments:

Post a Comment