Peace Corps Panama

Hello, welcome to my blog. I created this blog as I am preparing to leave to Panama for the next 27 months. I will be serving as a Sustainable Agriculture Systems Extension Agent. I will try to keep my blog as updated as possible. Come Visit and Stay tuned so that I can share this experience with you.


Hola, Bienvenidos a mi Blog. Me estoy preparando para ir a Panamá los próximos 27 meses. Voy a estar sirviendo como agente de Sistemas sostenibles de Agricultura. Tratare de mantener este blog lo más actualizado posible. Vénganme a visitar. Manténgase informados con mi blog para que pueda compartir estas experiencias con ustedes.


Pictures

Friday, July 10, 2009

Cultural Snapshot 2

EVERYTHING IS EATEN WITH RICE!!
The last couple days I have cooked to show them some of the meals that I like to eat that are AMERICAN. I also do it to help around the house a little since I have invaded their home for the last couple days and will keep invading for the next couple weeks.
My host seems to enjoy the break. Between us, I don´t really like all the fried food that they eat all the time =(.

From Santana: Month 1

First meal I made was little soft tacos with guacamole,tettuce, refried beans, ground beef, and whole wheat tortillas. All the kids that tried it loved it...HOWEVER... They all added a mound of Rice and corn to their plates. They found it quite odd that I ate the plain taco.

The second meal I made was Pasta with tuna. That one wasn´t as much of a success. One of the girls in the house didn´t like it and I don´t blame her. I didn´t eat this until I got to college and realized how cheap tuna is and how fast and easy this plate was to make...lol. Again they added a mound of rice.

The third meal I made was Chicken Alfredo. This was yesterday afternoon. It came out incredibly delicioso I might add. As each of the family member trickled into the kitchen to get their plates, they looked up at me and asked where the chicken was...and then of course....DONDE ESTA EL ARROZ. I tried to explain it to them that RICE and PASTA are both carbs....so when you eat ONE you don´t eat the other. It went in one ear and out the other as they walked away with their chicken alfredo with rice and avocado

From Santana: Month 1

Ohh well...I guess it´s pointless but at least i´m trying to show them something different than fried chicken, fried hotdogs, fried tortillas, fried beef and RICE

1 comment:

  1. hola flakita!! just seeing those pictures makes me hungry lol. i remember ur deserts were tha bomb you should make them some deserts to go along with those delicious meals ur making. well i see ur doing good and ur new family seems to like u being there. i wish u the best and ill try to stay in touch as much as i can.
    take care, TQM

    ReplyDelete