Peace Corps Panama

Hello, welcome to my blog. I created this blog as I am preparing to leave to Panama for the next 27 months. I will be serving as a Sustainable Agriculture Systems Extension Agent. I will try to keep my blog as updated as possible. Come Visit and Stay tuned so that I can share this experience with you.


Hola, Bienvenidos a mi Blog. Me estoy preparando para ir a Panamá los próximos 27 meses. Voy a estar sirviendo como agente de Sistemas sostenibles de Agricultura. Tratare de mantener este blog lo más actualizado posible. Vénganme a visitar. Manténgase informados con mi blog para que pueda compartir estas experiencias con ustedes.


Pictures

Friday, July 10, 2009

Culture Snapshot:



I think that i´m going to try and post Culture Snapshots everynow and then.


Here is the first one:
I´ve been coming in the last couple days to town for various reasons. One is my new puppy and the other in Gaby, one of the girls in the community, was competeing in the HighSchool Beauty Pageant. The twist to this contest is that the candidate that collects the most amount of money is the one that wins...


On Wednesday there was a caravan where she sat on a car and drove around Guarare... and we followed in cars... catching glimpses of her every couple turns. I had the misfortune of going in the car with her mother, who was a nervous reck... lets just say it was a difficult afternoon...she reminded me a lot of my aunt: Mercedes.





Yesterday,Thursday, there was a show. The show started with a dance number to MAMBO NUMBER 5. Then that was followed by a runway show. Students from the school claimed that modeling was amoung the student body´s many talents. These girls, and guys were serious. Tyra would have had a field day at the show. Gaby wore 3 outfits: first was casual ( brown shirt, jean shorts, and bronze high heels), second was coctail dress ( a little green dress with the bronze shoes), and the third and final was an evening gown.



In the end, the other candidate raised more money and ended up winning. Gabriela is now Princess of her High School. This afternoon there is a dance at the school in celebration of the New Queen and Princess of the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment