Peace Corps Panama

Hello, welcome to my blog. I created this blog as I am preparing to leave to Panama for the next 27 months. I will be serving as a Sustainable Agriculture Systems Extension Agent. I will try to keep my blog as updated as possible. Come Visit and Stay tuned so that I can share this experience with you.


Hola, Bienvenidos a mi Blog. Me estoy preparando para ir a Panamá los próximos 27 meses. Voy a estar sirviendo como agente de Sistemas sostenibles de Agricultura. Tratare de mantener este blog lo más actualizado posible. Vénganme a visitar. Manténgase informados con mi blog para que pueda compartir estas experiencias con ustedes.


Pictures

Saturday, May 23, 2009

4 down, 6 to go...

¿QUE SOPAAAAA?
(how Panamanians say What´s Up?)

Week four has been very eventful: accident, site announcement, killing chickens, making sancocho, presenting the community analysis, and packing for 2 week trip...

After site announcements on Wednesday, I thought the rest of the week was going to drag on by....but it didn`t!
Thursday I went to Tech class in the morning (I got a ride from the local school bus). In the afternoon I learned how to kill chickens in two ways (breaking their necks or slicing their jugular). I know it sounds a little crazy but it´s not that bad.
The process took quite a while:
  1. kill the chicken
  2. put the chicken in boi water till all the feathers are wet
  3. pull all the feathers off
  4. wash chicken
  5. start cutting chicken into different parts: wings, legs, and carfully take out insides (watch out for eggs...I had an egg in my chicken.
  6. wash the different cuts with water
  7. put the different pieces into a bowl and add lemons and vinager
  8. allow to marinate till the next day
  9. following day....ready to be cooked

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW APPREACIATIVE I AM OF PUBLIX CHICKEN BREAST RIGHT NOW.

On Friday we had to present our community analysis to the members of Santa Clara. The presentation went really well! In the afternoon we had a cultural taste of the different regions in Panama...delicious.

Tomorrow I leave for DIVISA...where i will be for Tech week. We will get training in different areas like fish tanks, animal husbandry, pasture management, and much more. I hope I don´t have too much trouble getting around.

The following week I will be in the AZUERO (my region) for X-cultural week! That week sounds like it will be lots of fun. We will go to a waterfall, hot springs, learn how to cook, learn about the culture of the region, and also meet other volunteers that are going to be in our area once we get to our site in JULY!!

Some of us plan on going to Santa Clara Beach on the way back from x-culture week...I hope my foot is doing good by then!

An update on the foot: it´s doing a lot better. I can put a little weight on it but it is still hurting and swollen...=(

I hope everyone has an enjoyable Memorial Day Weekend...

I was just thinking back on highschool when I would beg my parents to please let me go to Marco Island because EVERYONE was going....haha...

Happy Birthday Veronica and Antu!!

No comments:

Post a Comment