Peace Corps Panama

Hello, welcome to my blog. I created this blog as I am preparing to leave to Panama for the next 27 months. I will be serving as a Sustainable Agriculture Systems Extension Agent. I will try to keep my blog as updated as possible. Come Visit and Stay tuned so that I can share this experience with you.


Hola, Bienvenidos a mi Blog. Me estoy preparando para ir a Panamá los próximos 27 meses. Voy a estar sirviendo como agente de Sistemas sostenibles de Agricultura. Tratare de mantener este blog lo más actualizado posible. Vénganme a visitar. Manténgase informados con mi blog para que pueda compartir estas experiencias con ustedes.


Pictures

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hola! Ya llegue a Panama!!!

Yesterday I left Miami and flew to DC for Staging. At staging we filled out papers and met the other 47 volunteers going to Panama. From 3-7 we had a meeting, then we went to dinner at LOS CUATES mexican restaurant. When i got back to the Hotel, I reorganized my bag and made some good night phone calls (PIRI...=) Then i took a nap.
At 2am I woke up, showered, and headed downstairs for checkout. Whil everyone was fast asleep or getting home from partying in DC, we were driving to the airport to embark on our "Life CHanging Experience". For 3 hours we sat on the airport floor waiting to check our bags. Some PCV (peace corps volunteers) ate, some slept, some made small talk, one guy stuffed himself into a bag, another tuned his guitar, and others like me started writing in their journals.
By 10:45am we were in Miami (again). I had never seen Miami look so beautiful. The ocean looked an unrealistic clear blue, and the sand looked whiter than ever.
By 1:30pm the swuertess said "Bienvenidos a Panama". Through the airplane window i could see the ocean and a country that looked a lot like Colombia. There were little run down houses lining the runway. It was raining and cloudy.
By 2:40pm we were on the Bus to Cuidad de Saber. Driving through downtown Panama you could see high rises like in brickell and south beach on one side and rundown homes, with tin roofs, clothes hanging outside to dry, and little kids running around barefoot.

By 3:15 we were pulling into Cuidad de Saber where we are staying until sunday. It is a former military base right across from the Panama Canal. There were two cruises infront of us when we got here this afternoon. I am staying at a super cute villa with 5 other girls- Kitchen with a refrigerator and microwave, living room with TV, a phone, dining area, 3 rooms (each with 2 beds) and a bathroon with hot and cold water!
At 4pm we had a medical meeting where i got some blood drawn and got some goodies:
a FIRST AID FIT, a BINDER with lots of info, a bug net for sleeping at night, and a water purifier!
At 5:30pm I went on a jog with my roomate and then I went on a run by myself on the grounds!! It was awesome.The campus is beautiful. It has a running path that goes around sand volleyball courts, basketball courts, soccer fields, baseball fields, tennis courts, and swimming pool. There is a little grocery store, pharmacy, gym, and cafe on this "campus".
At 6:30pm we ate dinner: arroz frijoles, pollo, platanos maduros, y ensalada!

I still don't feel like Im in the Peace Corps. I am sweating a lot. It is super hot and humid. I showered with cold water cause I was so hot!
I've been working on some spanish homework with some of the girls and now I got online to write to you all. (did i mention we have wireless here hahaha)
I am loving this place. I've killed 2 roaches already...my housemates think i'm a hero...lol.

Tomorrow....wake up: 6am: Run, 7am:breakfast, 8am-6pm: Meetings! 7pm: DINNER!!!
LOVE YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. not exactly roughing it yet!!!

    sounds awesome, you are making all of us in work land very jealous!

    ReplyDelete